Introduction to Ilaanga Energy
Ilaanga Energy was founded in December 2011 by Mendi Tshabalala. Mendi lived in Belgium from February 2
009 till November 2011 with her partner Axel Raven. They got involved in the then booming photovoltaic industry in Belgium as installers of grip tied rooftop systems feeding back in the grid with a Feed In Tariff (FIT).
Mendi focusses on the administration involved in running a business and she manages the employees. The employees all come from a disadvantaged background. They are being trained on the job and receive training from suppliers like Schneider Electric, Schletter to gain knowledge and experience as photovoltaic system installers.
Axel Raven has a background in electrical engineering and has worked for the Belgu
im utility “Electrabel” for 16 years on the medium and low voltage distribution grid.
He gained experience in the photovoltaic industry as an installer and atteneded several course and seminars organised by SMA, Schletter, Hoppecke and Schneider Electric.
Ilaanga Energy recently developed their own range of solar module mounting structures to fill a gap in the market as there are no suppliers with locally manufactured components. This has become the core business of Ilaanga Energy.
All alluminium extrusions are manufactured in South Africa. The extrusions are processed, assembled and packed in the workshop in Wadeville, Germiston.
Ilaanga Energy has supplied mounting structures for:
- Dry Ice International, Pretoria 114kW on IBR roof sheeting (own installation)
- Lufereng Highschool, Soweto 30kW KLIP-LOK® roof sheeting (own installation)
- Novartis, Midrand, 100kW custom made frame
- Netcare Head Office, Midrand 120kW on KLIP-LOK® roofsheeting
- Mamelodi Mall, Mamelodi 500kW KLIP-LOK® roof sheeting
- Woolworths Distribution Center, Centurion 1MW KLIP-LOK® roof sheeting
- Greenstone Mall, Edenvale 600kW KLIP-LOK® roof sheeting
- Senwes, Klerksdorp 750kW inclined ballasted on flat roof
- Karaglen Mall, Edenvale 400kW KLIP-LOK® and IBR roof sheeting
- Bophelong Highschool, 54.5kW on KLIP-LOK® roof sheeting
- East Rand Mall, 1MW on KLIP-LOK® roof sheeting
Ilaanga Energy is an Exempted Micro Enterprise (turnover below 10 million per annum) and is 100% black female owned. The company has a current BBBEE rating of a level 1 supplier.